HistorySmiths : professional editing research historical services Melbourne

Telephone:
03 9663 9889

Home | About Us | What is History? | Our Work | Publications | Heritage work | Articles/other projects
Editing services | Curriculum projects | Work in progress | Links | Testimonials | Contact Us

Publications

For the honour of our school: 120 years of Fintona Girls' Schoo, Balwyn: Fintona Girls A Passion to Serve: 100 Years of Ivanhoe Grammar School A Century of Care: St John of God Ballarat Hospital 1915-2015 Seeds of hope: St John of God Warrnambool Hospital, 1939 - 2014 By the Community, For the Community: A history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service
The Way to the Stars: 150 years of The Geelong College Kostka: Xavier by the Sea, 2nd edition A very personal service : A history of International Social Service Australian Branch 1955-2005 To Build a Firm : The Maddocks Story She Who Conquers : A centenary history of Firbank Grammar School
Involving learning: MLC 1982–2007 Outside the Square: 125 years of Caulfield Grammar School For all Creatures: A History of RSPCA Victoria Stuart Stoneman: A Life in the Grocery Trade Growing up Catholic: a history of St Mary’s Hampton, 1924–2004
Douglas George Phillips MC (1897–1950): a brief biography Life is to be cared for: a history of Box Hill Hospital Challenging Traditions: a history of Melbourne Grammar Manningham: from country to city Delivering Community: the Middle Park Mums, 1970-2000
A special place: a history of Bayley House Werribee Farm: a history, 1892-2000 Xaverians on Active Service: from South Africa to Vietnam Going forward in faith: a history of Melbourne Citymission The Schizophrenia Fellowship of Victoria, 1978-1999: a brief history
The Sincere Gift of Himself: a biography of Eldon Hogan Lifeline to India: a history of the Maytime Fair Red, black and khaki: cadets at Xavier College Kostka: Xavier by the Sea Kostka: Xavier by the Sea (Click to enlarge)
Our war effort: Life in Melbourne’s western suburbs 1939-1945 Bright Sparks: The Brunswick Electricity Supply Department 1912-1994      

go_to_top

 

Claire Levi, For the honour of our school: 120 years of Fintona Girls' School, Balwyn: Fintona Girls School, 2016.

Established in 1896 as a small, privately owned school in Upper Hawthorn, Fintona’s birth was nothing unusual for the time. Despite shaky beginnings with low enrolment numbers, the school soon grew, particularly after the Presbyterian Church granted Fintona recognition. When founding principal Annie Hughston finally managed to secure the future of her school in 1934, Margaret Cunningham became its new owner/principal, perpetuating a model that was becoming rarer as the twentieth century progressed. Anticipating her retirement, Margaret Cunningham formed a company consisting of Old Fintonians to which she would gift the school. The first-chosen headmistress was an Old Fintonian herself, Elizabeth Butt. Her steady tenure saw an enormous building expansion and the transition of Fintona from a privately owned enterprise to a Board-managed institution during an era of rapid educational and societal change. Since her retirement in 1991, three principals have each placed their own mark on the school, bringing it firmly into the twenty-first century as a high-achieving academic school for girls. 

ISBN 978-0-646-96168-2
200 pages. Hardback. Colour illustrations
Available from Fintona Girls’ School (03) 9830 1388

go_to_top

 
By the Community, For the Community: A history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service

Helen Penrose, A Passion to Serve: 100 Years of Ivanhoe Grammar School, Richmond: Utber  & Patullo Publishing, 2015.

Service, citizenship and leadership are central to the story of this school that was born of a passion to serve the people of Ivanhoe in 1915. These values, and the school’s church foundations, became deeply embedded in the small boys’ school by its many long serving headmasters, teachers and supporters. As the school faced the challenges of limited finance, wartime and competition from other schools, it drew from these strengths to embrace curriculum innovation, a new campus at Mernda, coeducation and internationalism. Richly illustrated, this book explores the school’s aims, achievements and challenges during its first century. 

ISBN 9780992579616
322 pages. Hardback. Colour illustrations
 

go_to_top


 
By the Community, For the Community: A history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service

Helen Penrose, A Century of Care: St John of God Ballarat Hospital 1915-2015, Ballarat: St John of God Healthcare, 2015.

St John of God Ballarat Hospital was the first hospital established by the Sisters of St John of God in Victoria in 1915.Purchased by the Ballarat Catholic Diocese, Bailey’s mansion was converted for hospital use and to provide accommodation for the Sisters. After years of planning, many delays, and hampered by a lack of finance, a new purpose-built hospital opened in stages beginning in 1952. A School of Nursing opened in 1958 which, combined with the establishment during the 1960s and 1970s of ground-breaking modern departments such as Orthopaedics, Nuclear Medicine, Pathology and Pharmacy, firmly put St John of God Ballarat Hospital on Victoria’s medical map. A fire in the 1980s did not dint the Sisters’ determination to provide a healing ministry in Ballarat, which they have continued to do in a formal partnership with laity since the St John of God Health Care System was created in 1989.

ISBN 978-0-9925796-2-3
124 pages. Softback. Colour illustrations
Available from St John of God Health Care Service (03) 5320 2111

go_to_top

 
By the Community, For the Community: A history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service

Helen Penrose, Seeds of hope: St John of God Warrnambool Hospital, 1939 - 2014, Warrnambool, St John of God Healtcare, 2014.
 

A hospital in a regional or rural community is a great source of pride. Whether large or small, a local hospital eliminates long journeys to other hospitals for treatment, and binds members of the community to it in other ways, such as through employment and voluntary work. The establishment of a hospital in Warrnambool in 1939 by the Sisters of St John of God did all of this, and much more. It filled a great need in a strongly Catholic region, instilled the Sisters’ values of hospitality, respect, compassion, justice and excellence, and is now the only private hospital between Adelaide and Geelong.

From humble beginnings in 1939 in a renovated old home in Botanic Road, the first purpose-built hospital was swiftly erected and opened in 1940, despite the outbreak of World War Two and ensuing shortages of labour and finance. It served the community, with major extensions in 1962, until it was completely replaced in 1994. The hospital’s journey in between was not without its crises. This brief history explores this remarkable story and celebrates the 75th anniversary of a place that has been served by nearly one hundred Sisters of the St John of God, hundreds of medical staff and caregivers, and looked after thousands of patients and their families.

ISBN 9780992579609

78 pages. Softback. Colour illustrations

Available from St John of God Healthcare (03) 5564 0601

go_to_top

 
By the Community, For the Community: A history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service

Claire Levi, By the community, for the community: a history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service, Timboon: Timboon and District Healthcare Service, 2013.

The district surrounding Timboon nestles among trees and rich dairying countryside near the western Victorian coast. Many years ago the area did not have its own doctor, let alone any purpose-built medical facilities. By the community, for the community: a history of Timboon and District Healthcare Service tells the story of how the people in and around a small, rural township worked tirelessly to ensure their community would have access to health care of the very best kind, as manifest in the Timboon and District Hospital. Over the years, the services and facilities have been improved, challenges have been overcome, the name has been changed and, throughout it all, the Timboon and District Healthcare Service has continued to deliver first-class health care as well as peace of mind that medical facilities are close at hand.

ISBN 978-0-646-59551-1
76 pages. Softback. B/W illustrations
Available from Timboon and District Healthcare Service (03) 5558 6000

go_to_top  
The Way to the Stars: 150 years of The 
Geelong College (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, The Way to the Stars: 150 years of The Geelong College, North Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2011.

This history of the College celebrates 150 years of education at the College in 2011. The College was established by the Presbyterian Church of Victoria in 1861 to provide education for local Geelong boys, just after the temporary closure of Geelong Grammar School. Under the direction of the indomitable Scottish scholar, Dr George Morrison, the school grew quickly and moved in 1871 to an expansive hilltop location in Newtown. During Morrison’s long period as Principal (1861–98) the College earned an outstanding reputation for high academic standards. The strong Presbyterian ideals of a rigorous education continued during most of the period the College was operated and, later, owned by the Morrison family (after the Presbyterian Church was unable to provide appropriate financial backing). When the College was sold back to the Presbyterian Church in 1908 it became a member of the elite Associated Public Schools (APS), and governed by a Council largely composed of old Collegians and Church representatives. Considerable instability was experienced after the sudden death of its second Principal, Norman Morrison (1898–1909). Internal challenges encountered by subsequent Principals William Bayly (1909–14) and Walter Price (1915–19) added to the difficulties of drought and World War I. Students deeply admired the example set them by the College’s next Principal, the Reverend Frank Rolland (1920–45). As the College grew so too did boarding and its association with Victoria’s Western District. At boarding’s peak, during Dr Martyn Arnold Buntine’s period as Principal (1946–60), boarders were spread across four buildings. Until the end of this period, the junior school was part of the main campus. In 1960 the new Preparatory School opened on Aberdeen Street. The next Principal, Peter Thwaites (1960–75), and his successor, Peter Gebhardt (1976–85), gradually put into place more new facilities, well-qualified teachers, higher academic standards, co-education and a more balanced curriculum. Paul Sheahan (1986–95) consolidated much of the best of the work done by his predecessors as the College responded to many challenges with modern technologies, environmental and outdoor education, and a renewed emphasis on responsible citizenship and Christian values. Dr Pauline Turner has continued this work since 1996.

ISBN 978-1-921875-10-6
230 pages. Hardback. Colour and B/W illustrations
Available from The Geelong College (03) 5226 3111

go_to_top 
A very personal service : A history of International Social 
Service Australian Branch 1955-2005(front cover image)

Helen Penrose & Catherine Waterhouse, Kostka: Xavier by the Sea, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 1997. Second edition, 2010 .

This work, originally published in 1997 to commemorate the school’s 60th anniversary, has been been brought up to date with two new chapters , a new conclusion and revised appendices.

ISBN 0 646 32444 6
197 pages. Softback. B/W illustrations
Available from Kostka Hall, Brighton

(03) 9592 2127.

go_to_top  
A very personal service : A history of International Social 
Service Australian Branch 1955-2005(front cover image)

Barbara Pertzel, A very personal service: a history of International Social Service Australian Branch 19552005 , Richmond, Victoria: Utber & Patullo Publishing, 2010.

International Social Service (ISS) is an international organisation dedicated to assisting families with the solution of problems involving action in two or more countries. An Australian branch of ISS was established in 1955 and this history celebrates the branch’s first 50 years. Within a context of the migration to Australia of people from many parts of the world, the history of International Social Service - Australian Branch (ISSAB) explores the place and profound significance of the organisation’s gentle, modest gestures of help, how they endeavour to mend with tiny, shiny threads the holes blasted in the substance of the human family by history’s calamities.

ISBN 9780980556971 (pbk.)
140 pages. Softback. B/W illustrations
Available from the National Office  (03) 9614 8755
or email iss@iss.org.au

go_to_top  
To Build a Firm : The Maddocks Story (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, To build a firm: The Maddocks Story, Melbourne: Maddocks, 2010.

Maddocks is one of Melbourne’s oldest law firms. Combining archival and scholarly research with oral history, this brief history tells the story from when John Maddock and Arthur Johnson founded the firm on 1 August 1885. For much of the twentieth century it was dominated by two families – Lonies and Chisholms – and was known as Maddock, Lonie & Chisholm since 1940. It survived the depression of the 1930s and the mergers of the 1980s to reinvent itself in the 1990s as a modern law practice which, in 2002, expanded to Sydney. This lively account includes illustrations and a list of partners.

ISBN 978-0-646-53770-2
84 pages. Softback. Colour and B/W illustrations.
Available from Maddocks (03) 9240 0784

go_to_top  
She Who Conquers : A centenary history of Firbank Grammar School (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, She who conquers: a centenary history of Firbank Grammar School, Richmond, Victoria: Utber & Patullo Publishing, 2009.

Firbank Grammar School was established in Brighton by the Church of England in 1909 to provide education for local girls from Christian families. Links to the church and to the suburb are enduring features of its history. Despite a shaky start with three headmistresses in as many years, Firbank eventually flourished to become one of the largest girls’ schools in Australia by the late 1950s. This centenary history uses widely sought documents, archival sources, beautiful illustrations, intimate oral histories, and written reflections gathered from members of the Firbank community. It identifies the people who were responsible for shaping Firbank’s educational philosophy; charts the highs and lows experienced by staff, students and others associated with the school during its journey; describes the adaptation of the curriculum to the changing landscape of girls’ education and considers the school’s responses to the challenges imposed by modernisation and competitive marketing.

ISBN: 9780980556919 (hbk.)
303 pages. Hardback. Colour and B/W illustrations
Available from Firbank Grammar School

(03) 9591 5188

 

go_to_top  
Involving learning: MLC 1982–2007 (front cover image)

HistorySmiths Pty Ltd, Involving learning: MLC 1982–2007, Carlton, Victoria: Melbourne University Press Custom, 2007.

Twenty-five years on from its centenary celebrations in 1982, MLC has established itself as an innovative, internationally minded school, valuing diversity. This is not an end point. Rather it is a remarkable stage in the college’s ongoing, forward looking pursuit of authentic learning. In commissioning this book, MLC paused for a moment to take a retrospective glance at the journey its students, staff, board and wider community have undertaken since 1982. The college knows that during the past 25 years some amazing steps were taken – groundbreaking, courageous steps that have opened up more opportunities for every MLC student to realise her full potential than the college’s founding fathers of 1882 could ever have imagined; particularly through sustained, integral professional development, teachers acknowledged that they were learners alongside students, lighting the path to life-long learning. In its wealth of voices and images, this book captures an essence of those 25 years of involving learning, and in the process fittingly celebrates 125 years of education at MLC.

ISBN: 978 0 522 85427 5
228 pages. Hardback. Colour and B/W illustrations.
Available from MLC Development Office, Kew.

‘The best school histories…illuminate the social and educational contexts of the times… Involving learning is one of the very best…MLC has undergone several transformations during the past quarter-century while remaining true to its mission. The strengths and alignments required for success are powerfully evident in these pages. It is for these reasons that Involving learning is a superb contribution to the history of education.’ Prof. Brian Caldwell – Foreword, Involving learning.

go_to_top  
Outside the Square: 125 years of Caulfield Grammar School (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, Outside the Square: 125 years of Caulfield Grammar School, Carlton, Victoria: Melbourne University Press Custom, 2006.

Caulfield Grammar has always been different, and often innovative. These characteristics have been especially pronounced in the last 25 years, during the transformation from a conservative boys’ school to a trailblazing co-educational school. With five campuses and more than 2800 students, it is now the second-largest independent school in Australia. Even as a boys’ school in the 1880s, Caulfield Grammar was atypical in many respects: it was larger than normal, single-sex rather than co-ed, had well-qualified teachers, offered classes to Matriculation and, most unusually, boarding facilities.

This history, commissioned by the school to mark its 125th anniversary in 2006, draws on a wide range of archival and oral sources. An overview of the first 100 years provides the context for a detailed analysis of the last quarter century. Beside the main narrative sit reflections and comments from School Council members, principals, teachers, campus heads, students and parents. Photographs, illustrations, tables and appendices complement the story, and the accompanying CD lists students and staff from 1881 to 2006.

ISBN: 0 522 85319 6
318 pages. Hardback. Colour and B/W illustrations.
Available from Caulfield Grammar School.

go_to_top  
For all Creatures: A History of RSPCA Victoria (front cover image)

Barbara Pertzel, For All Creatures: A History of RSPCA Victoria, Burwood East: RSPCA Victoria, 2006 .

In June 2006 the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Victoria) celebrated 135 years of working on behalf of the welfare of all non-human forms of beings. It was Australia’s first animal welfare society, established in 1871 through the voluntary hard work of a small group of eminent Melbourne gentlemen. Very few people back then thought about the right of animals to live their lives free from pain and suffering. The aim of the RSPCA (Vic) was to ‘prevent rather than punish’ acts of cruelty, and its purpose was to educate the general public to think and behave more humanely towards the animals that supported and enhanced their lives. It is a history that is most strongly marked by changes in attitude, both within the RSPCA as well as outside in the broader community, to the treatment of all creatures both great and small.

ISBN: 0 646 46078 1
228 pages. B/W illustrations.
Available from RSPCA Victoria.

go_to_top  
A Life in the Grocery Trade (front cover image)

Barbara Pertzel, Stuart Stoneman: a life in the grocery trade, Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2005 .

Stuart Rusden Stoneman was a businessman, art collector and quiet philanthropist who strongly believed that the success he achieved in business should service the communities in which he worked and gained that success. Born in 1927, he grew up in Castlemaine and lived there until retiring to Mt Macedon in 1989. He was a grocer by trade and a gentleman by nature. He lived life to the full and enjoyed engaging in debate on matters political, social and theological with academics, politicians or his mates at the local pub.

His was a life in a context circumscribed by the rise of the supermarket chains. An independent grocer to the core, he held firm against their growing might, fought for his share of the market with a unique style, and successfully held off challenges by these giants of the retail food industry by developing his own chain of Stonemans Supermarkets throughout regional Victoria. This book weaves the story of a colourful, determined individual through the fascinating history of an everyday trade.

ISBN: 1 74097 076 4
283 pages. Hardback. Colour and B/W illustrations.
Available from Castlemaine Art Gallery and Stoneman’s Bookstore in Castlemaine.

go_to_top  
Growing up Catholic: a history of St Mary’s Hampton, 1924–2004 (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse, Growing up Catholic: a history of St Mary’s Hampton, 1924–2004, Hampton: St Mary’s Community, 2004.

Hampton’s Catholics have witnessed many changes since their ‘church-school’ was established 80 years ago. The experience of ‘growing up Catholic’ has changed much over these years. Nevertheless, faith, sacrament and community have remained central. This engaging history traces the story of St Mary’s Hampton through the memories of past and present parishioners, students and teachers.

ISBN: 0 646 44126 4
68 pages. B/W illustrations.

go_to_top  
Douglas George Phillips MC (1897–1950): a brief biography (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse with Yvonne Padfield, Douglas George Phillips MC (1897–1950): a brief biography, Carlton: HistorySmiths, 2003.

Douglas Phillips was born into a large Bendigo family in 1897. This brief biography offers insights into an ‘intelligent, trustworthy and industrious lad’ who grew up to serve his country with distinction, receiving the Military Cross ‘for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty’ in the Great War. Gentle and gregarious in family life, Doug once again served, during World War II, as Captain in command of a Metropolitan Security Group. This volume draws together photographs and documents ranging from Douglas Phillips’s war record to testimonials, correspondence and newspaper clippings, and the whole book gives a sense of the spirit of this loved and respected man.

ISBN: 0 646 43004 1
73 pages. Softcover. B/W illustrations.

go_to_top  
Life is to be cared for: a history of Box Hill Hospital (front cover image)

Helen Penrose & Catherine Waterhouse, Life is to be cared for: a history of Box Hill Hospital, Eastern Health Box Hill Hospital, 2003.

No large public hospital existed in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs until Box Hill and District Hospital opened in 1956. The need for a hospital had been embraced by the local community in the late 1930s but although the hospital’s committee was incorporated in 1943, building did not commence until 1949. Despite postwar shortages of building materials and labour, local fundraising events and strong community involvement helped maintain momentum. When this community hospital opened, the motto ‘Curanda vita’ - ‘life is to be cared for’ - was adopted. Life is to be cared for: a history of Box Hill Hospital traces this story and the subsequent history and development of the medical and non-medical functions of the hospital, including the Nurses’ Home and the provision of nurse training until 1991. Although many of the hospital’s activities rapidly outgrew the original building, increasingly extensive medical, diagnostic and therapeutic services were provided. Innovative and spirited staff were often at the forefront of medical and nursing developments and by the 1980s the hospital began its evolution from a community to a major regional hospital with, from 1989, a full clinical medical school in affiliation with Monash University.

ISBN: 0 958725934
190 pages. Hardback. B/W illustrations.
Available for purchase from Box Hill Hospital.

go_to_top  
Challenging Traditions: a history of Melbourne Grammar (front cover image)

Weston Bate & Helen Penrose, Challenging traditions: a history of Melbourne Grammar, Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2002.

Challenging traditions traces the history of Melbourne Grammar School, which was founded as a diocesan school by Bishop Charles Perry in 1849. Perry’s dream was to make an English Public School style of education available to the sons of Melbourne’s elite families. This handsome history traces the school’s highs and lows, as well as the long period of success from the 1950s, in which it embraced pastoral care, Art, Drama and Music, extended games offerings and outdoor education as supplements to its focus on scholarship. The facilities required for these curricular expansions were made possible through the unwavering support of the school community. Despite the heated conflict that surrounded a 1992 attempt to introduce co-education beyond primary level, the sense of pride and unity secured by Headmaster Hone has been maintained to the present day. Weston Bate and Helen Penrose used the extensive school archives for this project, combined with oral testimony and resources from other important Melbourne repositories.

ISBN: 1 74097 007 1
ISBN: 1 74097 008 X (fine ed.)
329 pages. Hardback. Colour and B/W illustrations. Available from the school.

go_to_top  
Manningham: from country to city (front cover image)

Barbara Pertzel & Fiona Walters, Manningham: from country to city, Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2001.

Manningham today is a community of over 110,000 people in ten districts, a city of infinite variety, rich in natural beauty and native flora and fauna. For countless millennia the Yarra River gouged its way through the hills to emerge from the Warrandyte Gorge onto the wide alluvial flats of a broad valley in the land of the Wurundjeri. In 1836 the first Europeans settled in the area. Many more followed, attracted by the valley’s fertile soils and, in the 1850s, Victoria’s first official goldfield. The Wurundjeri gave way to colonists; and a wilderness to stock runs, ploughed fields, fruit growing, villages and now leafy suburban subdivisions and parkland. Barbara Pertzel and Fiona Walters weave the voices of the community into their story, giving this book a freshness of approach and a narrative that make for true reading pleasure.

ISBN: 1-74097-000-4
250 pages. Available from The City of Manningham.

‘Pertzel’s & Walters’ way of writing history encapsulates local memories in telling phrases which seem to distil the ways Manningham people see the places they value. I’ve never previously found a local history which does quite this, and so effectively. I feel Manningham people will see themselves anew.’ Richard Peterson – Heritage Update

go_to_top  
Delivering Community: the Middle Park Mums, 1970-2000 (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse, Delivering Community: the Middle Park Mums, 19702000 , Melbourne: The City of Port Phillip, 2001.

In the 30 years since the first young mothers were recruited in late 1970, nearly 150 people were involved as Middle Park Mums meals on wheels volunteers. Catherine Waterhouse tells their inspiring story largely in their own words – the reminiscences of former members, their children and those within the council who supported their work. Their memories bring to life the wide range of meals recipients, special touches such as meals deliveries on Christmas Day, the struggle to adapt to the effects of council amalgamation and, throughout, the strong bond that developed between members of the group.

ISBN: 0-9580023-0-4
64 pages. Available from The Art and Heritage Unit, The City of Port Phillip.

go_to_top  
A special place: a history of Bayley House (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse, A special place: a history of Bayley House, Brighton, Melbourne: Bayley House, 2001.

Bayley House, in the Melbourne suburb of Brighton, was established fifty years ago to provide support for intellectually disabled children and their families. This book traces the story of people who worked step by difficult step to achieve their dream that these children enjoy as full a life as possible. Starting as a parent support group in rented accommodation, the Centre has grown with its first generation of clients, responding to their changing needs – a school, then work, then accommodation, then extra support as they aged – meanwhile assisting them to be as independent as possible. Oral history and illustrations throughout the text help to document the special spirit of Bayley House, present from its earliest days. The Centre’s paid staff continues to be joined daily by parents and others from a large pool of volunteers – they find their work immensely rewarding. Their commitment and dedication shines through this history of their achievements.

ISBN: 0-646-41667-7
100 pages. Available from Bayley House.

go_to_top  
Werribee Farm: a history, 1892-2000 (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, Werribee Farm: a history, 18922000 , Melbourne: Melbourne Water, 2001.

This short history of the Metropolitan Farm at Werribee is a joint initiative of Melbourne Water and the Public Record Office. The Farm has an important place in the history of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (now Melbourne Water). The disposal and treatment of Melbourne’s sewage was its first project after the Board’s creation in 1891. The Farm also had a special place in the hearts of generations of Werribee families, and their rural lifestyle – no longer known by Melbourne Water employees – is an important part of the story. The town of Cocoroc, now all but gone, was developed specifically for Farm employees and their families. Interviews with some of these employees have been added to archival research to create this record.

ISBN: 0-7311-1213-X
60 pages. Available from Melbourne Water.
Click here for Adobe Acrobat file (2.23MB)

go_to_top  
Xaverians on Active Service: from South Africa to Vietnam (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse, Xaverians on Active Service: from South Africa to Vietnam, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 2001.

The school can be justly proud of its Old Boys who have seen active service for their country. In the major conflicts over the past 100 years they enlisted in large numbers. Many were killed or injured. Many received decorations and awards, and achieved significant ranks. Their inspirational stories are captured in this engaging history in which letters, poems and oral histories bring their experiences to life. The section dealing with the Boer War and World War I is reprinted from Xavier: A Centenary Portrait (1978) by Greg Dening (Adjunct Professor at the Centre for Cross-Cultural Research at the Australian National University, Canberra). The second section was commissioned by the Eldon Hogan Trust to continue to the story to World War II and subsequent conflicts.

ISBN 0-9577067-5-8
79 pages. Available from The Eldon Hogan Trust.

go_to_top  
Going forward in faith: a history of Melbourne Citymission (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse, Going forward in faith: a history of Melbourne Citymission, Melbourne: Melbourne Citymission, 1999.

Melbourne Citymission was founded by evangelical clergy and philanthropists in 1854 to provide Christian witness to the destitute residents of Melbourne’s slum areas. Going forward in faith: a history of Melbourne Citymission traces generations of Melbourne Citymission workers in their support of some of the most marginalised members of their community. From faltering beginnings, Melbourne Citymission has grown to become a well-known welfare organisation running a wide range of specialised programs. This eminently readable book captures the story of that expansion, and is enriched by illustrations and quotations from each era of Melbourne Citymission’s history.

ISBN: 0-9586532-0-8
220 pages. Available from Melbourne Citymission.

go_to_top  
The Schizophrenia Fellowship of Victoria, 1978-1999: a brief history (front cover image)

Catherine Waterhouse, The Schizophrenia Fellowship of Victoria, 19781999: a brief history , Melbourne: SFV, 1999.

Until recently, people with mental illnesses and their families had little information or support. The Schizophrenia Fellowship of Victoria, 1978-1999: a brief history traces the development of mutual support, self-help, education and service provision by the Fellowship since its establishment. The tireless work of many members, volunteers and staff has helped to change community attitudes, as well as to improve treatment and care options for people with mental illnesses.

ISBN: 0-9585977-1-5
70 pages. Available from the Schizophrenia Fellowship of Victoria.

go_to_top  
The Sincere Gift of Himself: a biography of Eldon Hogan (front cover image)

Barbara Pertzel, The Sincere Gift of Himself: a biography of Eldon Hogan, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 1999.

In 1995 Eldon Hogan died at Xavier College after a lifetime of service to his old school. Opinions of him are as varied as the arenas in which he conducted his life – kind and diplomatic, stubborn and irritating; highly organised, a sloppy administrator; obstructive, very helpful. Eldon Hogan left the bulk of his considerable estate to Xavier. This biography was commissioned by the Eldon Hogan Trust to provide an appropriate memorial to his humanity. But how to write about a man variously described as a puzzle, a mystery, an enigma? The challenge of this biography is to reveal respectfully a very private man to an interested public.

ISBN: 0-9577067-4-X
200 pages. Available from The Eldon Hogan Trust.

go_to_top  
Lifeline to India: a history of the Maytime Fair (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, Lifeline to India: a history of the Maytime Fair, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 1999.

The Maytime Fair is much more than a fête. It is an annual tradition that represents an enormous gift of loyalty and hard work from Melbourne co-missionaries to the Australian Jesuit Mission in India. Since 1952, the Maytime Fair has united many volunteers in the cause of raising funds for the Mission, at which many Australian Jesuits have worked. Eldon Hogan was one of these volunteers since 1951 thus the Eldon Hogan Trust commissioned HistorySmiths to write a brief history of the Fair to commemorate what countless volunteers like him have achieved.

ISBN: 0-9577067-0-7
30 pages. Available from The Eldon Hogan Trust.

go_to_top  
Red, black and khaki: cadets at Xavier College (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, Red, black and khaki: cadets at Xavier College, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 1999.

Cadets were a part of school life at Xavier for sixty-one years. At various times, cadets were believed to provide opportunities for leadership, expressions of patriotism and discipline, and thus to form an important component of the boys’ Jesuit education. Not all would agree, and not all boys enjoyed their cadet experience, but as it unfolds, the story of cadets at Xavier offers an intriguing window into other aspects of Melbourne’s social and educational history. Commissioned by the Eldon Hogan Trust, this history is made possible by sources in the Eldon Hogan archive that reflects one man’s devotion to cadets and brings the story to life.

ISBN: 0-9577067-2
54 pages. Available from the Eldon Hogan Trust.

go_to_top  
A better, gentler school: music at Xavier College (front cover image)

Fiona Walters, A better, gentler school: music at Xavier College, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 1999.

Commissioned by the Eldon Hogan Trust, this project is a tribute to the people who helped to make music at Xavier contribute to the College’s renewal, particularly Fr Thomas Montague, SJ. In a culture of academic and sporting achievement, the resilience and growth of music at Xavier College have been celebrated in this engaging book. Written with a light touch, A better, gentler school: music at Xavier College draws on the memories of past students and staff as it reveals music’s infusion into the school’s psyche.

ISBN: 0-9577067-3-1
80 pages. Available from The Eldon Hogan Trust.

go_to_top  
Kostka: Xavier by the Sea (front cover image)

Helen Penrose & Catherine Waterhouse, Kostka: Xavier by the Sea, Melbourne: The Eldon Hogan Trust, 1997 .

Kostka Hall is Xavier College’s second preparatory school, founded in an idyllic location near the sea in Brighton. Commissioned by the Eldon Hogan Trust to commemorate the school’s sixtieth anniversary in 1997, this history explores the school’s special nature: its atmosphere of intimate seclusion, its strong sense of family, developments in its expression of the Ignatian ethos and the considerable changes in the school since the first boarders arrived in 1937. A particular feature of the book is the enticing layout of the text, supported by numerous illustrations and quotations from oral history.

ISBN 0 646 32444 6
160 pages. Available from The Eldon Hogan Trust.

‘One of the many graces of Helen Penrose’s and Catherine Waterhouse’s history is that they show how Kostka was different. There are not many school histories that capture a sense of place as well as they have.’ Greg Dening – Eureka Street

‘In the brisk and pointed chapters, the authors construct a compelling account of Kostka’s uniqueness…’ Doug Kennedy – Xavier News

go_to_top  
Our war effort: Life in Melbourne’s western suburbs 1939-1945 (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, Our war effort: Life in Melbourne’s western suburbs 19391945 , Melbourne: HistorySmiths, 1997.

Commissioned in 1995 as a Commonwealth Government Australia Remembers project, this book is a tribute to the people of this area and their activities during World War II. It looks at the icons of the wartime landscape and the role of the munitions and explosives industries; the entry of vast numbers of women into the work force and the resulting impact on home life; children’s memory of war, social life, housing shortages and food rationing; and above all, the extraordinary commitment of individuals to Australia’s patriotic activities.

ISBN 0-646-34149-9
87 pages. Available for purchase from HistorySmiths.

 

go_to_top  
Bright Sparks: The Brunswick Electricity Supply Department 1912-1994 (front cover image)

Helen Penrose, Bright Sparks: The Brunswick Electricity Supply Department 19121994 , Brunswick Council, 1995.

Brunswick first switched on electric light in 1913. Bright Sparks is the story of the council’s electric undertaking up to the amalgamation with the State Electricity Commission in 1994. The story of Brunswick’s Electricity Supply Department reflects the history of a developing community, its struggles with economic and social depression, as well as its success in times of prosperity. Industrial growth in the 1920s, depression in the 1930s, the effects of war and post war development, and new responses to energy conservation in recent years are explored.
45 pages.

 

 

  go_to_top